I certainly know that I couldn't be a doctor. Eck, I am too wimpy. Ditto career as a solider, spy or therapist. I won't be able to have a job in the music industry because I'm tone deaf. But none of these have really ever bothered me. I haven't felt I'm missing out. And I always believed I'd stumble upon, or just find the dream job. I'm studying English at Exeter, and I love it. Utterly and completely. (Maybe less when I get a lousy grade on a paper). But I am starting to seeing that what I considered brilliant about doing an English degree, its openness, flexibility, shades of history, theology, social science not to mention books, plays and poetry... doesn't mean I can step right into a job. As easily as if I were doing business management or law. (not that those degrees are easy!)
But none of my degree has as yet prepared me for a job. Not one. MA here I come!
No comments:
Post a Comment