I see the argument that women should be allowed to wear what they want, I truly believe in your body, your choice. But I do begin to wonder why so many want to look like prostitutes. I am referring chiefly to the performances that I have just witnessed in X Factor, but I suppose it could be used for a more general statement about female fashion.
Now back to the clothes, or lack thereof. First off, it has to be cold. And lets be on honest it cannot be that comfortable.
I’m not saying don’t wear short dresses, skirts, shorts if you like them – that’s great. But how comfortable can you be if everyone makes judgments, or comments on your appearance, which are hardly complimentary?
So what’s the appeal?
It is hardly free choice if you are doing because your boyfriend likes you to wear it. Nor is it empowering, if we as women feel like we have to look like the women who are meant to be our role models. But what we should bare in mind is the fact that these women, and more importantly their managers know sex sells. So they promote their stars in such a way.
Thus this; one force us – as normal people to look like we are trying to sell something? We aren’t promoting our music… but we can look like we are selling ourselves, oh what fun. (I am not a fan or going in the opposite direction and wearing a tent, I am hoping simply there is a middle ground between skanky and covered, where femininity exists.)
Surely we are meant to feel empowered, taking off as many as clothes does not by its very definition encourage equality – after all, I certainly don’t find it attractive when a man bends over and flashes me his pants. Frankly it’s a bit rank.
This seems a bit of a double standard truth be told. Not that I want to see Robbie Williams strip again…
No comments:
Post a Comment